Objectives: The primary objective of this role is to manage the successful delivery of software changes in relation to projects and to act as the primary interface between programme and project managers and the development team. It is expected that up to 25% of the Development Manager’s time will be spent hands on writing application and support build & release processes
Description of the role
- Manage the delivery of application software changes across multiple projects.
- Ensure development activities are completed on time, to budget and to the highest quality in line with corporate standards.
- Act as the focal point for project managers in relation to development activities.
- Track and review development deliverables – milestones, designs, code etc.
- Work with the quality team to ensure adherence to development standards.
- Manage and support the assigned development resources on a day to day basis.
- Establish and maintain clear mechanisms to communicate project status and change with the project managers in relation to development activities.
- Utilise industry recognised techniques for identifying, eliminating or mitigating solution risk.
- Analyse information and situations and escalates actions through the appropriate channels to ensure overall project objectives are met.
- Proactively develop and maintain effective relationships with all stakeholders.
- Identify and drive forward process improvement in relation the role/function.
Requirements of the role
- 3+ years experience in Object Oriented Analysis and Design
- 3+ years with J2EE Application Design, Coding, and Implementation
- 3+ years experience with open source frameworks related to web applications ( e.g. Spring, Struts, Hibernate etc.
- Experience managing web based, Java and RDBMS development
- Proven track record as a development manager delivering business critical financial applications.
- Excellent team management skills with the ability to motivate and drive team members.
- Excellent planning and work prioritisation skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Understanding of techniques for identifying, eliminating or mitigating project and business risk.
- Ability to maintain and develop constructive and effective working relationships across the business and at all levels.
- Technical Architect Background
- Strong development background, with team lead/management experience
- Agile background
- Relevant IT Industry qualifications.
- Diploma/Degree in finance or accounting will be highly regarded
- Knowledge of formal project management methodologies
- Knowledge of agile development methodologies